PH-2 Superphaser Mods

The two issues I always had with my phaser were 1) it gets mushed out in the mix and 2) it is a one-trick-pony that I really only used for rotating speaker emulations. These mods gave me a whole new device, especially my Pulsar mod.

  • LFO Disable Switch converts the phaser into a cool filter/EQ
  • LFO Pulsar Mod for a very unique Throbbing phaser
  • Output Gain Mod for a beefier output

These mods are of my own design and I have not seen them anywhere else. The schematics are well documented and available all over the internet. BOSS, SUPERPhaser, and PH-2 ARE TRADEMARKS OF THE ROLAND CORPORATION AND ARE USED FOR REFERENCE ONLY. THIS SITE IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE ROLAND CORPORATION IN ANY WAY.

LFO Pulsar


The LFO Pulsar mod is very interesting and unique - I have not seen this kind of thing anywhere. The trick is to use a Radio-Shack 2-color blinking LED. This is a really handy device for mods because it is 2 back to back LEDs - perfect for clipping. But in this case, only one of the 2 diodes is used. The reason I chose this over a diode or other LED is that this particular LED has a high Vd of about 2.4 volts. A single diode would not provide enough "pulse" though you could wire up several in series to get the desired Vd value.

When you switch the diode across the connections shown, the Depth control stops functioning, but the sound of the phasing is significantly more throbbing and pulsing sound. There is a brief instance when the phasing is completely off and this burst produces the effect. It is maximized at high Rate settings. Since the LED actually flashes in sync, I decided to mount it through an extra hole in the enclosure so you get a visual indication as well.


STEP 1: Locate Connector pins 12 and 13 and add Jumpers
Add 2 jumper wires to pins 12 and 13. These will attach to the switch/LED combination.


STEP 2: Wire the Switch
The switch a SPST with the center pin going to pin 13 and the LED leg going to pin 14 on the connector. Notice the heat shrink tubing too. I set it up this way so I could mount the LED through a hole next to the switch.

STEP 4: Wire and Test Fit
Mount the switch and optionally the LED to the enclosure. This is a little bit tight and notice there won't be much room once the ribbon cable folds over into the switch area. Try to be as compact as you can with this part.

When you engage the effect, the LED will pulse with the phaser.



3 comments:

  1. I was not able to get this mod to work after several tries. First off, you mention pins 12 and 13 in the first paragraph but then pins 13 and 14. I went with the first since that's what's pictured. You don't mentioned which end of the LED to put where, as it is polar. I tried both ways and it didn't work. Do you have a Radio Shack part number for the LED you used? I tried two, one that was blinking but one color and another bicolor one, both with close to the same voltage specs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I performed this mod some time ago, but waited to comment... I used a spare, standard, red LED. This mode opens the pedal up. It makes it more of a tremolo-type when engaged. Like it a lot. Derek, try using just a normal red LED.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi dearfriend,PH-2 SUPERPHASER.I was not able to get this mod to work after several tries. First off, you mention pins 12 and 13 in the first paragraph but then pins 13 and 14. I went with the first since that's what's pictured. You don't mentioned which end of the LED to put where, as it is polar. I tried both ways and it didn't work. Do you have a Radio Shack part number for the LED you used? I tried two, one that was blinking but one color and another bicolor one, both with close to the same voltage specs.

    ReplyDelete